The Marion County Courthouse is a historic landmark located in Yellville, Arkansas. The Courthouse was burned during the Civil War, along with most of its county records. Then in August of 1887, a wooden frame courthouse was completely burned down. In 1890, a 2 story brick courthouse was built. This courthouse was torn down because of poor ventilation and water damage.
In 1905 a new courthouse was built and was destroyed by a fire. This time a fire proof vault saved all of the county records. The present courthouse was made from the base of the 1905 courthouse. The head designer was Tom Eads. The new courthouse was completed in 1944 and was made of limestone and cement.
An account of the Burning of the Courthouse can be found at www.rootsweb.com
Marion County was created November 3, 1835, from Izard County, first called Searcy County, was renamed in 1836 in honor of Francis Marion, a Revolutionary War General. Yellville is the county seat. Prior to its occupation by white settlers, this County Seat was an Indian village. It is one of the oldest settlements in Arkansas and has been under the flags of Spain, France, the United States, the Confederate States of America, the Territory of Louisiana, the Territory of Missouri, and the Territory and State of Arkansas. The landscape of Marion County is the rugged and mountainous, Ozark Mountains, inhabited for years by bluff-dwelling Native Americans and, later, by European settlers. One third of the county is under water that offers many water activities. Ranger Boat and Flippin Bass Boat Manufacturers are located in the county. Part of the Buffalo River runs through the county and features camping, hiking, canoeing, hunting, and fishing. The Lower Buffalo Wilderness Area is the state’s largest wilderness area. Bull Shoals Lake has 19 parks scattered around its 1,000 mile shoreline. The Ozark villages are populated by crafters from spring to late fall that brings a large number of visitors to this area.